Thursday, January 24, 2013

Taking care of yourself is hard

It's not just the eating well that sometimes throws me for a loop, it's doing all the other things that make for an all around healthy person: getting enough sleep, finding time to go grocery shopping and cook food I'm excited about, cleaning my room so my head doesn't feel like it's going to explode, taking time to call or write emails to the bajillions of people I want to stay in touch with.

Right now I feel like I'm doing well at being "healthy" in my grad school life, I'm "healthy" in my work life, and I'm "healthy" in my health life, but I'm kind of lacking in the healthiness of my "me time" life. I realized yesterday at 9pm that I hadn't stopped moving since 6:30am.

I walked to work. Worked for 8 hrs. Came home. Skyped with my brother and his girlfriend while making dinner. Cleaned up a little after dinner. Went into my room to start packing my stuff for the next day and about went to bed right then (9:00 pm) because I was just so tired. However, I powered through and studied for an hour. Getting barely 7 hrs of sleep, I woke up at 5:30am this morning and studied for two hours before going into work.

And trying to balance friend time so emotionally I stay healthy? And exercise time so I can continue to be physically healthy? All I can say is, it's really hard.

Thanks to everyone who has provided me a random word of encouragement or lifted up a prayer on my behalf. Also, apologies if you call or email me and I take days, weeks, or months to respond. I promise I'll get to you. Really, I will.

2 comments:

Elizabeth Dong Nguyen said...

oh, how well i know this. there's just no way to do everything. currently, i'm doing the bare minimum for my health to survive my work deadlines. kevin has been pulling both of our weight in cleaning. and i am secretly glad that my social engagements are getting cancelled so i have more time for work. i don't know...sometimes i feel like i can only do one good thing at a time. you know? p.s. don't feel bad about not calling me back right away, we'll find time!

Suzanne Townsend said...

Oh, friend. What a gift you are to me! Can't wait for much needed time spent with one of my nearest and dearest. I'll chat with Karen about attending your friends' party. And going to Chattanooga sounds like a dream come true :) More than anything I am just so thankful for time spent with you.