Friday, September 23, 2011

The 8 Pound Slump

I lost 25 lbs my senior year of college - I think I am one of the few people who can say they weighed less when they graduated from college than when they first started. Immediately after graduation I went on a 2 1/2 week trip to the Dominican Republic and the diet of fried plaintains, beans, rice, incredibly dense apple pancakes, and more caused me to gain a lot of it back - and I never lost it again. Since then I've gained all 25 lbs back (and some months a little more).

What I've noticed about my weight loss journey is that I lose anywhere between 7-9 lbs, I get excited, and then I get discouraged because I realize how much further I have to go. So, this time around I'm trying to not look at the mega finish line and simply concentrate on 5 lbs at a time, but right now I'm in the 8 lb slump. To try to break myself out of my typical slump, I am trying to concentrate on my non scale victories that have been achieved over the past 2 1/2 months.

1. My cargo pants are almost too big to wear, even with a belt.
2. My cheeks (on my face) have contours again!
3. My dimples (on my face) are more prominent.
4. I've started running again and will be running 5 miles on Sunday.
5. I signed up for the winter pineapple classic with a friend, which should be a blast.
6. I have been drinking a ton of water.
7. My vegetable consumption is through the roof.

So, there we go. I have felt my motivation slipping this week, but hopefully my 3 mile run tomorrow, the 5 mile run on Sunday, and the eating well this weekend will bump me out of my 8 lb slump and into the land of the 10 lb victory lap.

No comments: