Sunday, March 20, 2011

Just call me Gandalf

Maggie and I are leading our high school girls group through this book called 7 Secrets to a Health Dating Relationship. It's based off of a passage in Ephesians 5 and the "secrets" are all about being a kind of person and looking for a kind of person. The idea is that if you seek after someone who expresses wisdom, hope, discernment, joy, gratitude, etc. and if you aspire to do the same thing that the relationship will be healthy. 

When we talked about wisdom, we talked about how sometimes when we think of wisdom we get an image in our heads of man like Gandalf - old, bearded, and cryptic with their words. We don't think so much about a teenage girl, or a college aged guy, or a soccer mom. 

I'm helping teach a class at my church. Last week we talked about spiritual gifts and my friend Nancy said that spiritual gifts are a way that God endows us with talents beyond our normal capability. I sometimes feel this way when I teach. I can almost feel it as I'm preparing a talk or a teaching of some sort; that the content I am preparing is beyond me and that God has gifted me in that moment to prepare a lesson. So how does this relate to wisdom?

Over the past couple of years (Brenna, if you're reading this, you started it) some of my friends have used the word 'wise' to describe me. And honestly, it never ceases to amaze me. I guess I just don't think of myself as being a person of wisdom. The cool thing is, that I think that's kind of the point. The fact that I can't conceive of myself as a wise person, and yet my friends see me as one, is evidence to me that God is at work in my life. Unfortunately for me, this wisdom thing seems to be out of my hands. I'm inspired to say certain things at certain times, but other times all I can do is listen. I kind of wish this wisdom thing worked a little more like my brain being shaken up like a magic 8 ball. 

No comments: