Monday, November 29, 2010

Prompt 25: The person who gave you your favorite memory

I have approximately 25 years of memories so it's kind of hard to pick my most favorite out of all memories. Instead I'll discuss my most favorite of all memories...from the past two weeks. On Monday night of last week (November 22) we got about 3 inches of snow and another 1 inch or so over night. I ended up having to stay at work until about 6:30pm and due to the lack of busses running on time I walked home. That day I happened to be wearing a dress, tights, and ballet flats which made the 45 minute walk home a bit interesting and a bit cold. On my way home I had a conversation with my friend Maggie who had to abandon her car approximately 30 blocks away from my house. She ended up camping out at Starbucks and then walking over to our friend Rachel's who lives just a hop, skip, and jump away from me. When I was about 10 minutes away from my house, Maggie and Rachel called me and said they'd meet me en route and convinced me to take a detour to Rachel's where there was the promise of hot soup, fresh rolls, and tea. Apart from the fantastic companionship the food made it a very tempting offer.

Maggie and Rachel met up with me about a block away from Rachel's where we proceeded to run throughout the field of a church turning up the freshly fallen snow. In one of my more graceful moments, I walked down what I thought was a snow covered hill and instead was a snow covered cement slope. It almost happened in slow motion as I slipped down this slope and my hands and legs got buried in the snow. The best part was the sound effect I gave to narrate this event: "woop." Uproarious laughter on the part of myself, Rachel, and Maggie was the immediate laughter as can be evidenced from the picture.

Rachel then graciously opened up her home to me as well as sweats from her wardrobe as we feasted and shared great conversation. The icing on the cake was that one of my roommates also joined us bringing brownies and a BBC mini series which was delightful. I love when my worlds merge and in that one moment some of my most favorite people were all in one place.

Karen, Maggie, and I left Rachel's, playing in the snow on our way home and then sat by the fire before retiring to bed. I remember when I was a senior in high school that I had a conversation with one of my friends that when we became adults we wanted to have deeply important friendships where we still did goofy things and had sleep overs. No matter how many times I can look at my life and say "this is not where I thought my life would end up" the place of importance that many of my friends currently have in my life is one piece that is exactly as I hoped it would be. Cheesy, but true.

1 comment:

Chrissie said...

Next time I want to have snow days with you!