Sunday, October 3, 2010

Prompt 14: Someone You've Drifted Away From

This is kind of a bummer, but there are about 15 people I could write about here without even batting an eyelash. I know that's just kind of the nature of life, right? One of my high school girls recently moved to Chicago, and when I was talking to her on the phone shortly after the move, I told her to not be too hard on herself and not to kill herself trying to maintatin relationships with every single person she knew here in Seattle. I explained to her that it's just too exhausting to maintain every friendship in Seattle while also developing friendships in Chicago. The most important relationships stick, but I'm beginning to realize that sometimes people can enter your life for just a season, and I'd do better to simply appreciate them in my life at that period of time rather than forcing each relationship to be what I think it should be. However, in appreciating these relationships within their seasons, sometimes some rather important friendships dissipate as well.

Growing up, I am sure I had "best friends". You know, the ones you always hung out with, always shared your lunch with, and generally just had a skipping good time with. This kinds of friends in my case did not last. In the 3rd grade Nikki Norris told the entire 3rd grade class that I stretched our her body suit and that I was fat. In the 5th grade Melissa Bong only hung out with me as a way to hang out with my adorable next door neighbor. In the 6th grade I met Emmalee Ridgeway who was my nearest and dearest friend for about 3 years until she went to another school. She was, however, a fantastic friend and I hope one day to find her on Facebook.

It wasn't until I was in the 9th grade that I developed a "best friendship" that was built on a solid foundation. Kristen Miles is probably the first person I can remember pursuing me as a friend not because of what I could give her (access to a cute next door neighbor, for example) but because she wanted to be my friend. We established a ridiculous mutual love for Goran Visnjic, Spy Daddy from Alias, and other random artificats of pop culture. We ate lunch together almost every day during Junior and Senior year of high school, planned winter formals, and gave each other permission to ask questions about one another's faiths and respond respectfully. And when we got together, stupid, stupid amounts of laughter transpired. Our friendship was always easy, in the best way possible. Never any stupid drama, never any subtle criticism of one another, just friendship.

I lost touch with Kristen, but was randomly thinking about her one day in college, knew she was on her mission in Norway and found her through the LDS website where we sent a couple of emails to one another. I have the best intentions of being her pen pal as she is in Idaho and I am in Seattle. It's weird, isn't it, the relationships that last and the ones that quicksilver that seem to slip between our fingers? I hope I was as good of a friend to Kristen in high school as she was to me, but as this is one relationship that I would really love to rekindle I may have the opportunity to be that kind of friend to her even if it is across long distances.

No comments: