Thursday, September 23, 2010

Prompt 13: Something You're Looking Forward To

So, you might have noticed that I moved from "days" to "prompts". This is because I went about 4 days without posting anything, so the word days is misleading. But, this has been a fantastic way to provide me some guidance it what to write about. I think I'll be done doing something structured after this though, at least for a while, b/c there's all this other stuff that I've had ideas to write about. Anyway, what is something I am looking forward to?

I am greatly looking forward to running a half marathon with my little brother in November! We're running the Seattle Half-Marathon on Sunday, November 28. The best part of training is that Cameron and I get together for our long runs each week and it's been a great time to spend regular amounts of time together. It's also been really cool, because starting last week, each long run we do from this point on will be the longest distance Cameron has ever run. This week (as in tomorrow actually) we'll be running 6 miles. Holler! My goal for the half is 2 hours and 11 minutes which would beat my best time by 1 minute. But, more than anything, I'm proud of the fact that I've been holding my own when it comes to running with Cameron. Honestly, if I were to lose 5 lbs or so prior to the half, it would help so much with my time. It's crazy how even that small amount of weight makes a big difference!

This challenge that my work place is doing called "Game On" could not be coming at a better time. It's a team health and fitness competition which has done a pretty good job of keeping me honest, which is fantastic as preparation for this event.

Anyway, if you're reading this, wish Cameron and I luck as we embark on a 6 mile run in about 14 hours. I'm also really looking forward to sharing this experience with my brother. I don't think we've ever really participated in something together before. We have our whole lives as shared history, and have spent countless meals together, but it means a lot more to have a common goal we're working towards. Only 64 days until the half marathon!

3 comments:

Chrissie said...

How was the run? Hope you both survived. If I ever run a half-marathon in the future, it will be because you always challenge me to be open to the possibility that I could enjoy running!

Stephanie Breuner said...

How did it go?

Suzanne Townsend said...

The run went pretty well. I got a little angry at Cameron because the last five minutes he was hopping around and shouting expletives like the run was no big deal. And then I got sad b/c I've been running for so much longer than him but he's so much better at it. My roommate, Katie, reminded me he also is about 10 inches taller than I am. Boys stink!