Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Step Six

"Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character."

I am taking a class at my church called "The Twelve Steps: A Spiritual Journey." It takes the 12 steps of recovery and applies them to emotional healing. I haven't done my homework for step six yet, and I feel like I am in college again procrastinating the assignment until the last possible minute. I don't know why the homework for this class makes me so uncomfortable. Maybe it's that once you write something down, and say it aloud, you have to deal with the reality of the words that have been spoken. When those words are spoken, I cease to have control over it. I can't control how my group hears those words, or how they will respond, or their thoughts surrounding them. For a control freak like me, that's a pretty large leap to have to make.

No comments: