Saturday, August 22, 2009

Half dreaming half sleeping

The other night, in a half asleep state, I stumbled out of bed to open my window. In the process, I stepped on a picture frame that I had so carelessly left on the floor of my bedroom and heard the glass crack. As I lay in my bed, I wished that when I awoke I'd find I had only broken the picture frame in my dreams and that it would be whole when daylight came.

Half dreaming and half sleeping never work in my favor. The picture frame was still broken. And all those shadows of longing that I experience in my dreams, from cars, to clothing, to relationships, remain in the purgatory of cognition.

2 comments:

Stephanie Breuner said...

glad you didn't cut your foot!

Suzanne Townsend said...

Me too! It still makes me sad that I cracked this frame. Really cool, $11 at Ross. Held 7 different photos. Sigh. I'll either fix it or get a new one, but it'd probably be a similar price.