Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Just breathe...

On June 28th I will be preaching at my church on the Book of Habakkuk. That's right...in big church. I was a little disappointed to find out I'd be preaching at the 8:30am service since that is a service I have never attended, it's super early, and I am scared of that group for a number of reasons (namely, some of them don't feel women should be preaching). However, I'm working on getting over it and feeling blessed by the opportunity. I'm almost there, but I'm still scared. Here's why...

1. I am afraid of misrepresenting the text. This fear will pass as I will be writing my outline alongside three pastors who will also be preaching that Sunday.
2. I'm afraid my pastor will conclude I'm not a gifted teacher. This would be a little devastating since it brings me great joy to teach and I also highly value my pastor's opinion.
3. I'm flat out scared I'm going to do a bad job. Get nervous. Forget my notes. Throw up. Insert devastating public speaking outcome here.

I have a month to prepare. I'm going to study chapter one tomorrow and take it from there. Please God, help me to remember that knowledge puffs up but love builds up. Please help me to turn aside from the wisdom of the world and remember that your wisdom looks like foolishness to the world. Help me God to prepare well and rejoice in being made to look a fool.

Amen.

3 comments:

Stephanie Breuner said...

I will be thinking of you as you prepare for your sermon and remember that your mission is to please God-not people (hard one to remember, I know).

Ric Wild said...

you'll do great!

Suzanne Townsend said...

Thanks for the encouragement! If it gets posted online I'll try to post a link.