Monday, February 23, 2009

Joy

One of the girls in my small group is turning 16 in two weeks, and she's very excited about that. One of the other girls in my small group emailed me and asked her if we could throw her a birthday party because some of the girls wanted to bake her a cake. Neither myself nor my co-leader initiated this. They had decided on their own this would be a tremendous blessing for her, and their willingness to make an effort to bless her brings me great joy.

My friend Maggie has a brilliant vision for a new ministry to the girls in our high school group that combines small group with Bible study with practical service with discussions of 'real life' issues that impact them on a daily basis. It's thoughtful, practical, and has the real chance of being a very powerful experience for both leaders and students.

Two of the high school girls were brought to tears during winter camp when our youth pastor told them that he saw in them the ability to be a tremendous leader and change the world.

A group of 15 of us laughed until tears ran down our faces because our high school girls were quoting verbatim various YouTube videos and then reenacting them for us. The best, by far, was their performance of the Harry Potter puppet pals.

My friend Brandon and I wrote ridiculously funny scripts for winter camp where I sat in a pie, dated Zac Efron, taped Brandon to his bed, watched him have a fake heart attack, choked on alka seltzer tablets, broke up with Zac Efron, and had a sleepover.

This is my job? Joy.

2 comments:

Ric Wild said...

Don't you feel almost guilty?

Suzanne Townsend said...

I felt it again last night! Sitting in a kitchen waiting for the last students to get picked up as they talk to me about their physics homework and eat clementines with the peel on just to prove they can. It's so delightful.