Friday, February 27, 2009

Glue

As part of my Lenten commitment I am reading a Psalm each day and then journaling about what that changes about who I am in Christ. Today I read Psalm 3 and meditated on verse 5: "I lie down and sleep; I wake again, for the Lord sustains me." While many of my days feel the same, I enjoy waking up each morning to encounter the little things that make each day different. Like grapes, or lunch with a friend, or solitary shopping trips at Northgate, or clean laundry. I started thinking about what would happen if I stopped enjoying the idea of waking up. What if I ever woke up and the day seemed to be a burden rather than a promise of something great? Would I wake up again knowing that the Lord sustains me?

This also made me think of the movie "In Her Shoes" when Simon asks Rose, "What holds you together?" Essentially asking, what sustains you? What is your glue? And I started thinking about that for myself. This is what I know so far:

Deep laughter: the kind of laughter that moves your heart it feels so sacred
Intimate worship: intimate meaning you can tell the leader has had an intimate encounter with God and now they are leading you with the hopes that you will as well
Quiet: Those few moments in a day where your sould breathes and you feel at peace

And to the few people that I know have read this in the past, what holds you together? What is your glue? I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject!

1 comment:

elizdong said...

journaling: it's where i feel whole when my life is going crazy
family: in a more broad sense. more like, people who know me so well that i don't have to explain myself to them. like you :)

i like this. i'm reading "the imitation of christ" for lent and journal praying. keep posting- i miss hearing things like this from you!