Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I'm a girl on the move

Yesterday was a good day. It started off in the morning by my getting out of bed early enough to begin searching for different jobs I may be interested in applying for. In the midst of my search I found a posting for an admissions counselor at Azusa Pacific University, and before I knew it I had printed out the application and this morning I mailed it off. It is currently floating through the abyss of the United States postal service and will hopefully land on the desk of the HR representative Monday morning at the latest.

It's not that I am thrilled to be potentially be an admissions counselor (although I think it is a great opportunity) it's that I am thrilled that there is movement in my life. My reasons for considering this position are several fold: 1) I've been asking God to expand my understanding of youth ministry. I do not want to so confine God so that I say the only way I can minister to youth is in a position at a church. As an admissions counselor I would have the opportunity to work with high school students and college students on a regular basis. 2) It's a position that I'm qualified for and it pays substantially more than my job in Seattle. 3) I need to do something. Even if I don't get a second interview, or the job, or accept the job, I could have concluded this process knowing that I did something and I tried as hard as I could to move somewhere, and that's a great feeling.

At the same time, I am not shutting the door on full time ministry in a church or a para-church setting. I am also trying to apply for a variety of opportunities in that vein as well, but more than anything finding this opportunity put some excitement into my life again. I smile thinking about my application in the mail and I can't wait to hear the response from whoever receives it. For the first time in a while I am looking towards the next few months with anticipation. I see my time at the hotel coming to a close and I know the closing of that opportunity will be due to the accepting of another.

Thank you, Jesus, for the gift of a good day.




No comments: